Thursday, June 26, 2008

Let's Grow Old Together

 
















 “Papa didn’t like the beach either, it was the sand that bothered him the most,” my grandmother reminisces to me on the phone, after I recap our trip to Maine to her, “We once went for a picnic with all five kids and he was the only one to get sand in his sandwich.”

 I share with her that aside from his first trip to the beach, we visited the library last week, that he calls all animals doggies, and loves to eat blueberries. I don’t mention the choking incident. 

Matthew made it thirteen months and seventeen days without choking but then one morning he was snacking on mushy watermelon and cheerios when it happened. I saw him bite off a piece of watermelon larger than he could chew. He does this all the time or he shovels ten meticulously cut up pieces into his mouth at once. A few seconds later I saw him frantically gulping for air and quite literally choking to death.

I leaped out of my chair and wrestled with the straps of the high chair with the same difficulty I would have if I were wrestling an octopus. Then I whacked Matt on back until the watermelon went flying out and sliding across the kitchen floor amongst scattered cheerios

Once at a party I went to a baby choked on a teething biscuit. Not breaking conversation, the father whacked the baby over his knee a few times and the biscuit came up and out followed by a puddle of spit up. The parents cleaned it up with a burp cloth and carried on talking as if it were perfectly normal to save a life while discussing sautéed red potatoes.

I, on the other hand, was not nearly as composed. When Matthew wailed I announced that it was happiest sound I had ever heard! Those ten seconds  felt longer than my pregnancy with him did.

3 comments:

  1. I'm suprised you were able to re-live "the choking incident" without breaking into a sweat and working yourself into a panic! I'm sure you'll feed Matthew Stage 2 jar foods until he's 6 and you're sure he's finally ok to chew real food on his own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one brought tears to my eyes. I am going to print these for Mame to read on the deck while we are in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie, you do an excellent job of summing up life as a parent! Reading your blog reminds me of when my son Jimmy was young...keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete