Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spring Air



I love the transformation that our home makes with the change from winter to spring. Daffodils in a glass mason jar. Snow boots swapped out for rain boots. Pepper moved back outside. Pepper craning her neck to sniff each gentle spring breeze. Storm doors turned into screen doors.


Then of course there are the arts and craft projects. The springtime is my favorite time to break out the real messy ones because we can take them outside for quicker clean up and also for the reason that we don’t need to look further than the brilliant colors of nature to feel inspired.



Try as I may the mess doesn’t always stay outdoors. “I’m just washing the rocks a little,” Matthew says while standing at the bathroom sink, with a bowl full of rocks, water, and hand soap.

“The sink feels grimy,” Bob observes later that night and casts a suspicious glance my way. I shrug as though I can't fathom why it does.

Then this morning I sat outside in the fresh spring air, typing up this blog, sipping on a homemade smoothie (thanks  Bob!), and listening to Matthew play;

“I am a firefighter,” he declares and pulls on his clunky rain boots.. “Uh oh, I hear the bell ring!"
"I've got to get my boots on,” he takes off his boots and then puts them back on. Then he takes off down the stairs and running across the yard.



I just love the spring.

1 comment:

  1. That was so well written! What a nice story!

    ReplyDelete