Thursday, September 2, 2010

1st Day Of Preschool






Approximately twenty minutes after we put him to bed, Matthew came strolling back to our bedroom. “I’m really excited for school!”

“That is great,” I enthuse and moved over to make room for him in the bed. “Is there anything that you are not looking forward to at school tomorrow?”

“I’m not looking forward to the other kids hitting me,” he replied after thinking about it for a moment.

“No one is allowed to hit you,” I tell him sternly. “If they do I want you to look them in the eye and to tell them not to hit you again. If they hit you again than you should tell the teacher.”

“And then what will happen?”

“The teacher will give them a time out because hitting is not allowed at school.” This seems to soothe his first day jitters and he goes off to bed without another visit to our room.

The next day when I dropped him off he had a big smile on his face and waved to me before walking into the classroom without an extra nudge from me.

He had these two things to say when asked about his first day of school, "No kids hit me this year." and “It was good. The teacher said that I could come back tomorrow!”

The school year is off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment