Saturday, June 25, 2011

Wait And See


Summer has arrived in the form of frog chasing, water play, and freeze pops. How strange to think that by next month we will have a new baby in the house! Bob and I can’t wait to meet her, to dress her up in all those pink and white outfits that have found their way into our home, to inhale that new baby smell, and to appreciate every smile and milestone. We’re also very excited to introduce her to her big brother even though he is not pleased at the aspect of having a sibling.


This pregnancy has been difficult for Matthew. 

He has became moody. “I hate my transformers,” he declared throwing his favorite toys in the trash for a reaction (he later retrieved them once he realized that I wasn’t going to) . “You are my best, best, best, friend in the whole world,” he said that same hour shoveling three blueberries into my mouth."

He has also been exhausted! On two occasions he fell asleep during the minute drive home from school last week. He’s far more in a pregnant mentality than I am. I’m having the easiest pregnancy. It’s Matthew who is the one soldiering on during these last weeks.

Last Sunday I had a lovely baby shower thrown for me hosted by Marion and Katie. There was no small detail left unturned. In lieu of cards people were asked to bring books, which they could write their names on a personalized sticker noting their donation to Samantha’s library. The stickers matched the personalized book mark party favors. Decorations doubled as onsies and baby blankets. Even the water inside a vase of carnations was pink. Matthew had come along as I felt it would be healthy for him to be included. He seemed to have a lot of fun even if he couldn’t understand what all the fuss was all about. Without him seeing me I came across him moving the new books from his bookshelf to the corner of the toy room.






There is no way to convince Matthew that his world is not going to be in ruins once the baby is born. He is not convinced that we are still going to find the things he does endearing like saying, “Yes, you didn’t” or asking us to play a game of ‘Tic-Tac-Row’. The best thing we can do is to show him that he is still an equally important part of our lives once the baby is born. Besides, he might even decide that he likes her once he meets her. We’ll have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment