Monday, June 11, 2012

Farm Frenzy









Five is a fickle age as summer is a fickle season. These two together make add lots of excitement wherever we go. Matthew, Sammy, and I went strawberry picking a few days ago. In the middle of picking berries we heard a rumble of thunder in the distance which set Matthew on edge.
“We need to leave now!” Matthew said nearly cowering in the bushes.

“We’re fine,” I assured him. “Keep picking.” 

Once our tray was full of strawberries we heard a second distant rumble of thunder on our way over to the playground. The sky began to grow dark and Matthew came undone. 

“We need to go NOW!” He shouted at me. “We have to leave!” He started to run the couple of feet to the car but then ran back to Sammy. “Get Sammy in the car!” 

Despite his public meltdown over a non-issue it struck me as sweet that he cared enough about his little sister to not take cover without her. I was unable to rationalize with my little thunderstorm diva so it seemed best for all to pack up and head home. 

The sky brightened up as we drove away. Matthew and I dropped Sammy off at home and went to the courts at a park nearby to play tennis. While there we found the perfect spot for a picnic dinner and then went back home to collect Bob and Sammy. It was the perfect way to end a tremulous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment