Thursday, October 16, 2008

Loch Mess Monster

 






















By the time Matthew finishes filling his bucket with dirt it will be his bedtime. He and I are playing in one of the many patches of dirt in our backyard and only a quarter of the dirt from his shovel actually makes it into the bucket at a time.

It is time to for dinner and Matthew and I haven’t finished building our mud castle yet but there is a new recipe for sweet potato biscuits that I want to try, so to keep him occupied inside I take out some markers and construction paper for him to scribble on.

“Matthew Robert!” Bob’s sudden uproar and use of middle name interrupts my thoughts of whether a knife will suffice for a square biscuit cutter, “ Look what you did to the couch!” Matthew runs towards me from the living room into the kitchen bawling and throwing looks of betrayal over his shoulder towards his normally even keeled father.

There are orange and red scribbles on the cushions in the next room. Bob gets out  cleaning solution and paper towels while Matthew  goes to his bedroom to play with his toys. A little while later Matt comes back out of his room and stands as close to Bob as he can manage, watching him spot clean the cushions back to their normal color.

“Hi?” Matthew finally grins up at him.
Are we still friends?
“Hi Matthew,” Bob begrudgingly replies. I’m sorry I yelled at you.


2 comments:

  1. This was my favorite blog yet! Although I did not enjoy re-living Matthew's color incident, I did enjoy how we made up in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, Did you get the crayon marks out??? I've been waiting for this or for some story of how you discover pen/crayon/paint marks on your newly painted walls. Ahhhhh. the joy of raising toddlers. I think you should have another child now and get it over with!

    ReplyDelete