Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cupcakes, Jellyfish, and Basketball

Last week was Bob’s birthday and to celebrate Matthew and I baked him Cookie Monster cupcakes. I hid them under our bed in a container and left notes hidden around the house to lead him to it. My plan went off with just a couple of hitches, one being that Matthew kept telling him that I made yummy cupcakes, and two being that Bob didn’t actually see my first note on the garage door, that is until I directed him to it after he asked me where these cupcakes were that Matthew mentioned to him.

The following day we took the day off from work and Matt to the aquarium and children’s museum. There once was a time that our birthday weekends were spent together in a favorite hotel of ours, but it was years before we had Matthew or a mortgage. Still, we have fun together wherever we go.

“Ooohh, those are scary!” Matthew says and backs away from a tank of jellyfish. Moments later he is sticking his face close to a tank of sharks, turtles, and schools of fish swimming by. His fears are as unpredictable as the tides.

Next we stop at a tide pool tank with starfish, hermit crabs, and urchins to pick up.


As we were leaving, I asked what everyone’s favorite part of the aquarium was. Matthew replied, “We took an elevator.” Bob and I agreed that it was the new sea lion exhibit. The sea lion exhibit was built outside of the dimly lit aquarium, with walls of glass that overlook a harbor full of salty blue water and sailboats. “I want to give a hug?” Matthew asked while looking at a sea lion inches away from him behind a glass wall.


After lunch, we walked over to the children’s museum where we spent the rest of the afternoon exhibit hopping and doing a craft project together in the art room.

2 comments:

  1. What a fun day! Can't wait until Thursday's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jellyfish and Peacocks, Oh MY! LOL - This sounded like the biggest and best weekend in a long time! Between the animals and the sports, I think you got pretty much everything covered.

    ReplyDelete