Saturday, March 13, 2010

Vermont Winter Weekend Part 1

“I’m not in my own bed!” Matthew wakes up startled before the sun is up.

“We are in Vermont,” I remind him.

“Are we going home in the morning?” he asks.

“I think we will stay for a couple days,” I whisper, thinking of the three hour drive we made here some hours ago.

“Oh, okay,” he yawns deeply and then drifts back off to sleep.

Later that morning we ate a delicious pancake breakfast made by Sarah, our hostess with the mostess for the weekend. Then we drove, over a covered bridge, and on muddy roads to Sugarbush Farms.

Sugarbush Farms is a cheese lover’s paradise. Their slogan is “At the end of a scenic Vermont road lies a cheese lover’s paradise” if you don’t take my word for it. We walked
a nature trail and saw how maple trees were tapped and we visited the sugar house and saw how maple syrup was made. The highlight of the trip, in our opinion, was the actual tasting of the cheese and maple syrups. The instructor was very kind and gracious with her time and samples. No one minded that Matt played with all the cows and tractors in the toy shop, in fact they went as far to assure me that it was what all the kids who visited did. Plus there was Max, a nine-year-old loveable black lab lying in the middle of things soaking up the attention from a very smitten almost three-year-old.


Next we did a little shopping around Woodstock.We saw more dogs, some even inside the stores.

Matthew chose toe to take his afternoon nap on the floor of our guest room camp out style and gave the bed to a stuffed bear. I assured him that more adventures await him for when he wakes up.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful time to good ol' Vermont. Next time I see you guys I'd like to hear how the maple trees are tapped and how syrup is made. I was talking about that subject just the other day!

    ReplyDelete