Friday, February 17, 2012

Zen Sand


One of best holiday gifts that I received was a Zen Garden for my desk. I felt this way until I took it out of its well organized box. When one of us (usually Matthew) raked it some sand would enviably fall out and onto the dark wood of my desk.  I hated the gritty feeling of sand under my desk papers. Once Sammy was sitting on my lap and reached to grab a handful of the sand. It quickly seemed that my Zen Garden and small children could not co-exist in a peaceful way. Instead of hiding it on a high shelf, I decided to repurpose the sand by adding a little water and food coloring. Matthew filled a glass vase of sand art for me which he modestly proclaimed to be the most beautiful thing in our house. Best of it does not need to be raked. 


Here is my favorite Zen Parable, which is ironic given this project:
For me, this glass is already broken. I enjoy it; I drink out of it. But when I put this glass on a shelf and my elbow brushes it and it falls to the ground and shatters, I say, 'Of course.' When I understand that this glass is already broken, every moment with it is precious"

No comments:

Post a Comment