Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Pow Wow

A teenager with almond colored skin and shoulder length dark hair takes out an earplug from his iPod to give me directions. He tells me to continue on the road, which is roughly the width of a driveway, and to turn right at the barn up ahead. In the distance, I can hear drums beating. I thank him and follow his directions, which lead to a field where other cars are parked. Matthew and I have never been to a Pow Wow before, so when I see a couple carrying lawn chairs I grab a blanket from my trunk and toss it in the bottom of the stroller.

We follow the sound of drums back down the narrow road and to another field. A circle is marked by blocks of hay, which some children and adults are already sitting by in anticipation for the Pow Wow to begin. Just outside the circle, four women sit in their own circle playing the drums. There are vendors selling handcrafted jewelry, musical instruments, art, and other goods. Matthew and I settled on our blanket in the tent where Grandmother, a woman with white hair in a braid that went all the way down her back, told stories. We heard one about the origin of strawberries.

Next, we sought out a dream catcher. I did not want one that was too large, and Matthew did not want one that was too feathery. We settled on small one with just four feathers on the bottom. I noticed Matthew admiring the wooden flutes and so we got one of those too. It was then time for the Pow Wow to begin and so we went and found a spot to sit near the circle.

The first dance was the grass dance. This we were told was a ceremonial dance to flatten the grass for the other dancers. The second dance was the Grand Entry Dance led by the head veteran, a man called Thundering Buffalo, and volunteer veteran attendees. There was a flag ceremony and a flag song to follow. We learned that the dancers enter circle from an east entry and danced clockwise to follow the sun. Following the Grand Entry Dance was more drumming, dancing and singing. Both inside and outside the circle people of all ages and nationalities celebrated Native American heritage. It was as beautiful as it sounds.

Later at home, Matthew could not wait to show off his new Pow Wow moves to Bob. I ‘played’ the flute and thumped the couch with my hand while he danced in circles in our living room. When he was finished we hung the dream catcher above his bed and tucked him in for a late afternoon nap.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like this was a fun and unique event. Glad you guys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great experience for Matthew! We have a local tribe in our area that puts on a yearly pow-wow-- and I love the opportunity it creates to give my kids a sense of history and culture...all connected to the place we live. I can just picture Matthew showing off his moves to the music of his mama! And congrats on the move to two bloggin' days a week:) I'm not sure if I ever told you, but the banner looks great:)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you although I can't really take the credit for it, Delicious Design Studio deserves all the credit!

    ReplyDelete