Monday, January 23, 2012

Game Face









Bob and I have not been on a date in awhile so Grammy watched the kids while we went out to dinner and a movie on Friday night. Dinner was enjoyable, not a chocolate milk or crayon in sight, and we talked about television shows mostly having to do with SNL alumni instead of Power Rangers Samurai. Then as we were paying the bill it hit Bob. Something he ate had made him sick. He was willing to put his ashen game face on and continue with our date but instead we went to the pharmacy to get some medicine and then to home. 

“Why are you home?” Matthew demanded as soon as we came through the door. Bob dashed off to the bathroom while I faced the angry preschooler. He was furious that we interrupted his Grammy time, which in turn made me furious and I sent him to bed. Some might say I was being a cotton headed ninny muggings. 

At least Sammy was pleased to see me and once things calmed down I gave her a bath. Her happy face full of soapy bubbles and legs kicking in the water did not fail to cheer me up. Matthew, who was supposed to be sleeping, came out of his room with a picture he drew for me of us playing hockey together. I hung it on the kitchen cabinet so that it will always remind me to put on my own game face at times of feeling unappreciated. 

By the time Sunday came Bob was back to his old self and we had tickets to the AFC Championship game.  Matthew could hardly sleep the night before because he was so excited that he was getting to go to Grandma and Papa’s house. They have Legos and a pirate ship! 

After dropping off the kids we arrived to the stadium at 1:30. The game came down to the wire and the Patriots won it due to a bad kick from the other team. The fans, including us, went crazy! It was such an incredible game to have gone to. 

We wished the kids had been old enough to come with us but they seemed to have had as much fun as we did. After we picked them up and were driving away Matthew began to cry because he just had to tell Grandma one more thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment