Thursday, October 20, 2011

Spaceships and Skeletons








Growing up the thing that I enjoyed the most about family gatherings was getting to see Lauren.  Her name is attached to all the stories I tell about my childhood holiday experiences like the time we switched identical wrapped gifts and it backfired on us or perfecting our recipe for the drink we called L&L (imagine a lot of soda in the same cup if you will).  

She lived in a different town but went to high school at one located at the end of my street. During our teenage years our friends and family vacations sometimes overlapped so we saw a lot more of each other then.  

The kids and I met her at the Museum of Science earlier this week. 

“Why does General Grievous have four arms?” Matthew asked her the second formalities were out of the way. He knows that Lauren can hold up her end of a Star Wars conversation, a rare capability among the adults in his life.  

“Well he is kind of an alien because humans don’t have four arms, am I right?” She answers. The two of them mull this over for a few paces until we walked up to a spaceship motion ride. Sammy was hungry so I fed her while they went on it together.

I had no idea the Museum of Science was so child friendly! I figured there would be interesting things for us to look at but as it turned out the majority of the exhibits were hands on. Matthew’s favorite part of the museum was the electricity room because when he touched his hand to the large plasma ball it looked like he was using the force. I enjoyed rooting though discovery boxes and getting to touch a real human skeleton.  Sammy seemed to like watching her reflection in a mirror best. 

These days Lauren and I do not get to see each other as often as we used to but when we do it is a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment